-
February 3rd, 2004, 03:25 AM
#1
Inactive Member
During the 1980s, The Pogues, led by iconic singer Shane MacGowan, electrified audiences with ballads famed for their passionate marriage of poetic storytelling and riotous delivery. Equally renowned was MacGowan's legendary self-destructive behavior. In this unflinching and unapologetic portrait by Irish producer-director Sarah Share, the ravaged yet still mesmerizing MacGowan - who reportedly started abusing drugs and alcohol at age 12 -revisits his musical career in archive film clips and discusses why he left The Pogues in
Saturday 02.07.2004
3:00PM
Sunday 02.15.2004
1:00PM
Evryone should check this out! being a huge pogues fan that i am there would be no Flogging Molly ,Dropkick Murphys .if it wasnt for this one Person Shane MacGowan
www.sundancechannel.com
<font color="#FFFF00" size="1">[ February 02, 2004 11:27 PM: Message edited by: SocialFUKIND ]</font>
-
February 3rd, 2004, 05:12 AM
#2
Inactive Member
Dammit! Shane's one of my all-time favorites, but i dont get that channel! My mom gets it, maybe she can tape it for me... I'll prolly just end up having to get the DVD.
-
February 3rd, 2004, 05:15 AM
#3
Inactive Member
I haven't checked lately- but it used to only be avail on VHS and it sold on Ebay for $75+
-
February 3rd, 2004, 05:16 AM
#4
Inactive Member
Haha! I just checked and they have it on Netflix! Anyone who doesn't have Netflix should try it.
-
February 3rd, 2004, 05:18 AM
#5
Inactive Member
Wow- that's cool. I don't do netflix though, I'm REALLY bad at mailing things out- it's a miracle my bills get paid. Right now I have 4 envelopes on my counter (2 are bills) that have been sitting there for almost a week because I ran out of stamps and there is no where conveinent to buy them.
-
February 3rd, 2004, 08:40 AM
#6
Inactive Member
I don't have Sundance I only get IFC. I am going to do netflix, but it necessitates my having employment first. BTW The Broad Majestic Shannon is one of all time favorite songs by anyone ever.
-
February 3rd, 2004, 02:13 PM
#7
Inactive Member
You can buy the DVD anywhere i got it off amazon for like 20 bucks.before it was released there were copys floating around for almost $100.
-
February 3rd, 2004, 02:47 PM
#8
Inactive Member
The Pogues: Rum Sodomy and the Lash
Debauchery and tears. The second effort from the legendary Pogues promises it from the outset. From the cover piss-take on the painting “Le Radueau De La Medusa (The Wake of the Medusa)” to it’s fiery, howling mad content; “Rum, Sodomy and the Lash” delivers in spades. From puking up in Church to fighting the Turks in Gallipoli, from courting Sally MacLennane to riding with Jesse James, it’s all here, wrapped in the familiar wails of the Wildcats of Kilkenny.
Generally lauded by both critics and fans as the Pogues finest hour (no argument from me, except to add that “If I Should Fall From Grace…” is as good) and produced by the master himself, Elvis Costello, “RSATL” is nothing short of a perfect album. I remember finding the vinyl for $3 in a second-hand shop many years ago, and having no idea what awaited me, and if any of you bastards haven’t heard the album, then I envy you, for the first time you listen to it is almost a religious experience.
Shane’s twisted poetry has arguably never been as clear as it is on this record. Every cut a winner. Inspired. Original line-up. (A good companion to this record is the Pogues book “The Lost Decade” which details the history of the band, and also the making of this record.) It just seems the band were at their tip-top, like they never were before, and never quite would be again. Shane vocals would never be as purely emotive as they are here. He’s always the master, but this is him in his prime. The rest of the band follows his lead - From Spider’s speed demon tin whistle to Cait O’Riordan’s bass playing (always had a soft spot for ol’ Rocky) it all just works.
You can tell you’re in for a helluva ride from the outset. “The Sick Bed of Cuchulainn” promises: “there’s devils on each side of you with bottles in their hands/you need one more drop of poison and you’ll dream of foreign lands.” And off we’re whisked. The boy-prostitutes of “The Old Main Drag” sing a woe-begotten tale, which is quickly drowned out by the cries of “The Wildcats of Kilkenny.”
Up until then, things had been a wild, violent, drunken ride. Debauchery. Now come the tears. The old standard “I’m a Man You Don’t Meet Everyday” with a twist - Cait on vocals. Beautifully rendered. Tugs at the old heartstrings this. But then. Oh, but then. Perhaps Shane’s finest moment. Perhaps his purest vocals. “A Pair of Brown Eyes.” Jesus Christ, what a fucking tune. No use trying to describe the tale of war, love, loss, redemption. Just listen to it yourself. I sure as hell can’t do it justice. Modern Irish poetry.
Things pick back up for the crowd favorite “Sally MacLennane” with it’s tale of Jimmy’s exploits round the world but him never forgetting he loved the town where he was born and poor ol’ Sally. “Jimmy drank until he choked and took the road to heaven in the morning.” And what a trip it most assuredly was. The highlights just keep coming: Ewan McColl’s “Dirty Old Town” might as well have been written by Shane because after this recording, he has owned it ever since. “The Gentleman Soldier” is a sentimental favorite, million miles an hour, with punk rock vocals by the one and only Spider Stacy, and then things wrap up with the ultimate anti-war sentiment “The Band Played Waltzing Matilda” and once it ends, just try to swallow the lump in your throat.
To me, it’s simple: The genre of Irish punk owes most everything to this one record. Sure, it wasn’t their first, and certainly not their last grand moment, but for a time, there wasn’t a band on Earth that could touch the Pogues. They could turn it up like the best punk bands only wished they could, and then could choke you up like the best balladeers. From the amount of bands that cover songs from this record, it’s clear - untouchable. Legend. I think it may be the most emotionally charged record I’ve ever had the good fortune to listen to and it’s enduring quality remains even today. So grab a drink and some tissues, put the record on and travel to foreign lands, have a drink and fight the good fight one more time with the first and the best. The Pogues.
-
February 3rd, 2004, 04:31 PM
#9
Inactive Member
[img]graemlins/broken_heart.gif[/img] I love Shane- If he would let me, I would be his nursemaid and bring him back to health.
The Pogues are one of my favorite bands of all time. I am never not in the mood to hear a pogues song.
I wish he was healthy enough to tour and actually make it to more then 3 dates. [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img]
-
February 3rd, 2004, 04:46 PM
#10
Inactive Member
Yes Shane is the man,and i hope everyone checks this out to see what he is all about .i will put my paycheck on the line ,after watching this you will be a fan
Cheers
<font color="#FFFF00" size="1">[ February 03, 2004 12:48 AM: Message edited by: SocialFUKIND ]</font>
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks